Question:
Do Barbie dolls send a negative message to young girls?
ksherm17
2006-01-11 22:52:14 UTC
I know that Barbie is very unrealistic. Her waste is very thin and boobs very large. Are young girls really affected by this? Or do they just look at Barbie as another toy?
Twelve answers:
BioGeek
2006-01-12 06:46:41 UTC
While I agree with you that Barbie sends some unrealictic messages about body image, lifestyle and accessories, I think the effect of Barbie is totally dwarfed by what is seen in TV, media, movies and such.

Barbie is often played with by younger girls, and while they may see supermodel body types, Malibu beach houses and diamond tiaras, they sort of know it is fantasy play. Tween and Teens get exposed to much worse in magazines, movies, tv. Even advertisements. They have such pressures to meet a stereotype or a fashion trend, and they see an unrealistic portrayal of teennage life on tv where it is either too cool, glamorous or some other over the top situation.

So, giving your little girl Barbie dolls is the least of the challenges. COmmunication and talking about self image and self esteem will help build confidence and help her make her own way in the world.
2006-01-15 19:31:04 UTC
Barbie dolls don't send a negative message to young girls. Barbie is just another toy.
2006-01-11 23:20:48 UTC
Like you have said girls think that they have to be supermodel thin because they see it all the time on tv and in the papers too. yeah when i was lil i enjoyed playen wth barbies but if you have i very insecure lil girl and they are always seeing the thin girls and they are not thin or mabe a lil chubby than it could creat problems yes i am skinny but if i could gain weight than i would but i can so it dont bother me i say if you are chubby be proud at least you can find things that fit rite there is such a negative vibe twards people that are larger and that creats problems if you have an insicur child dont make them feel bad by given them the perfect girl the barbie find something els for them to play wth
2016-04-14 01:10:57 UTC
I agree, bratz dolls are very bad for young girls. Barbie is a good role model that teaches girls good values, she has many jobs, such as a doctor and a veternarian. Bratz are morely telling girls to be tramps and do nothing, but shop and date boys.

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDA4L
2006-01-11 23:13:16 UTC
No way. Barbie was a doll, just like Cabbage Patch kids. Do you think little kids are self-conscious because they don't have big plastic heads like Cabbage Patch Kids?

I think that's really overblown PC-ness.
amandaroper5720
2006-01-12 11:57:29 UTC
If Barbie seems unrealistic, it's because she is, in fact, unreal. Your child surely realized this as much as she realized she can't fly even though Peter Pan does. It's definately the "real" people on television and in magazines you have to worry about.
2014-10-14 12:25:42 UTC
You should follow the method "Pregnancy Miracle" ( available in electronic format at http://pregnancy.kyma.info )

It's a clinically proven holistic system for permanently reversing your infertility and your partner's infertility disorders and getting pregnant quickly, naturally and safely within 2 months without drugs, dangerous surgeries, side effects, or expensive infertility treatments.

It worked for me, me and my hubby were struggling for years and this book changed our lives. We now have a 1 year old beautiful daughter and we feel like the happiest people that ever walked the earth.
2006-01-12 03:28:25 UTC
I think Barbie has become more of a timeless classic than a role model, to tell you the truth
2006-01-12 16:45:49 UTC
some times they can be
fineblackchick06
2006-01-13 20:30:06 UTC
Yes because they dress very nasty & it makes gurls want 2 dress like that 2.
Kenny
2006-01-11 22:56:10 UTC
I don't think so.
?